Ruud has nearly the same gas furnace product line-up as Rheem simply because Rheem is the parent company for Ruud. The furnaces are nearly the same in build and color and the only real difference is the name on the unit and the model numbers. I am sure we could find design differences between the but taking a cursory comparative look between the two we observe no differences in design of their gas furnaces. I know both of Rheems and Ruuds Websites are slow, sometimes dysfunctional, and cumbersome to navigate even with a high speed internet connection. Aside from that the two companies produce quality products. Ruud was the builders grade version for Rheem for many years and in fact may still serve the function however Ruud does offer higher end gas furnaces in their gas furnace product line-up just as Rheem does. The bonus for the consumer is that parts are interchangeable so if you have both a Rheem and a Ruud dealer in your area and one does not have the part you could go to the other for the specific part. That is if you need a part that is proprietary between the two gas furnaces. Some of the features of Ruud gas furnaces are:
- Two-Stage gas furnaces in selected models offering you two firing rates- one for very cold days and one for mildly cold days
- Aluminized heat exchanger and stainless steel (High Performance HVAC is currently researching this aluminized craze by gas furnace manufacturers and will offer you an article on this in a future update)
- Inshot burners with direct spark ignition
- Variety of efficiency ranges from 80% AFUE to 90+% AFUE.
- Limited 20 year warranties on the gas furnace heat exchangers on selected models and lifetime limited warranties on other gas furnace heat exchanger
- Diagnostic abilities for better gas furnace troubleshooting on selected furnaces
For a history of Ruud see Rheem gas furnaces in the menu links. Currently both Rheem and Ruud are owned by Japanese water heater manufacturer Paloma.